By John C. Avise
Conceptual Breakthroughs in Evolutionary Genetics is a pithy, vigorous e-book occupying a different niche―the conceptual background of evolutionary genetics― no longer inhabited via the other to be had therapy. Written through a world-leading authority in evolutionary genetics, this paintings encapsulates and ranks 70 of the main major paradigm shifts in evolutionary biology and genetics in the course of the century-and-a-half on account that Darwin and Mendel. The technological know-how of evolutionary genetics is relevant to all of biology, yet many scholars and different practitioners have little wisdom of its old roots and conceptual advancements. This booklet fills that wisdom hole in a thought-provoking and readable structure.
This attention-grabbing chronological trip alongside the numerous conceptual pathways to our smooth realizing of evolutionary and genetic ideas is an excellent springboard for discussions in undergraduate or graduate seminars in evolutionary biology and genetics. yet greater than that, someone drawn to the historical past and philosophy of technology will locate a lot of price among its covers.
- Provides a relative rating of 70 seminal breakthroughs and paradigm shifts within the box of evolutionary biology and genetics
- Modular layout allows prepared entry to every defined subject
- Historical evaluate of a box whose strategies are vital to all of biology and suitable to a vast viewers of biologists, technological know-how historians, and philosophers of science
- Extensively cross-referenced with a consultant to landmark papers and books for every topic
Read or Download Conceptual Breakthroughs in Evolutionary Genetics: A Brief History of Shifting Paradigms PDF
Similar molecular biology books
This small ebook is a simplified, abbreviated, and up to date model of the author's unfastened strength Transduction in Biology, released in 1977 (Academic Press, New York). the current ebook is intended to be a textbook for a category or for self-study. the 1st bankruptcy offers a self-contained and simple dialogue of the rules of unfastened power transduction in biology.
Sign Crosstalk in Plant pressure Responses specializes in present findings on sign crosstalk among abiotic and biotic stresses, together with info on drought, chilly, and salt rigidity and pathogen an infection. Divided into seven chapters on severe subject matters within the box, the booklet is written by means of a world group of specialist authors.
Sheds new mild on intrinsically disordered proteins and peptides, together with their position in neurodegenerative illnesses With the invention of intrinsically disordered proteins and peptides (IDPs), researchers learned that proteins don't unavoidably undertake a good outlined secondary and tertiary constitution to be able to practice organic features.
- Glycobiology, 1st Edition
- Arabidopsis: An Atlas of Morphology and Development
- The Conquest of Cancer: A distant goal
- Translation and Its Regulation in Cancer Biology and Medicine
- Essential Cell Biology
Additional info for Conceptual Breakthroughs in Evolutionary Genetics: A Brief History of Shifting Paradigms
20) It is helpful for both students and professional biologists if the concepts and theories that form the basis for our understanding are put into the context of how the field has developed over time. …It is also arguably more fun to learn things if we understand why particular problems have stimulated the curiosity of biologists or how technical advances made new discoveries possible. Tobias Uller (2013, p. 267) Science is ill suited for people who demand eternal truths. Scientific lessons preached by one generation often seem doomed to be modified if not overturned by the generations that follow.
Lancet. 1902;ii:1616–1620. 2. Garrod AE. Inborn Errors of Metabolism 2nd edition London, UK: Frowde, Hodder & Stoughton; 1923; [1st edition published in 1909]. 3. Bearn AG. Archibald Garrod and the Individuality of Man New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1993. 4. Scriver CR, Beaudet WS, Sly WS, Valle D, eds. The Metabolic and Molecular Basis of Inherited Disease. 8th edition New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001. 5. Nyhan WL, Barstop B, Ozand PT. Atlas of Metabolic Diseases 2nd edition Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2005.
1970 The Flow of Information The Standard Paradigm The Conceptual Revolution References and Further Reading Chapter 43. 1970 Post-copulatory Sexual Selection The Standard Paradigm The Conceptual Revolution References and Further Reading Chapter 44. 1972 Jerky Evolution The Standard Paradigm The Conceptual Revolution References and Further Reading Chapter 45. 1972 Recombinant DNA The Standard Paradigm The Conceptual Revolution References and Further Reading Chapter 46. 1974 Parent–Offspring Conflict The Standard Paradigm The Conceptual Revolution References and Further Reading Chapter 47.